Facebook

Monday, August 03, 2009

$2 Portraits


Dwayne
Originally uploaded by MyxMaster.

This is part of the Flickr $2 portrait pool. Essentially, when someone ask you for money, you tell them you will give them $2 in exchange for a portrait. It's a great opportunity to contribute to life and tell a person's story through photojournalism.

While I was stopped at a signal light, a man approached my car window asking for money for gas for his truck, which was parked on the corner. I pulled over and asked to see his license and then proceeded to get out of my car. He said, "Oh, I don't have my license, you don't need to get out of your car." The next thing I was going to ask him was to try and start his truck to confirm that he had the keys and it was his truck, but before I could, he admitted his bike was hidden around the corner and he just needed the money. We introduced ourselves and began to talk.

He told me his name is Dwayne and he's from San Francisco, CA. He was fired from his job six years ago as a delivery man and he's been unemployed since then. He spends most of his time in the Tenderloin District without an address he can call home. He asked for money, so I asked him if I could take his portrait for $2 and he agreed.

After I took his photo, I did my best to encourage him and lift his spirits. I asked him if he needed prayer for anything. He said, "Success." I prayed with him and then we said our goodbyes.

No comments: